- President Obama decides to have a joint session meeting on the same day as the Republican debate at the Reagan library Of course it was just a coincidence, you racist!).
- Speaker John Boehner gives his permission for the meeting. Keep in mind of course, that the joint session meeting will take place on the East Coast, in D.C.
- NBC then pushes the debate start time until after the President gives his campaign speech joint session speech.
- The debate is taking place in California, allowing the Republican candidates to address the topics the President has just laid out, almost in "real time".
- Big win for the Republicans, NBC, and the other Networks (who suddenly have a lot to talk about that evening).
- Big loser in all this? Barack Obama. He tries to pull a stunt to upstage the Republican debate, and will instead have allowed his political opponents the perect opportunity to repudiate his speech (and overall record).
Dumb move. Can this guy do anything right?